Xylitol FAQs

Information for pet owners, veterinarians, and individuals interested in learning about Xylitol.

What is Xylitol?
Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found in the cellulose of wood, sugar cane pulp, certain seed hulls, and/or corn cobs that can promote optimal oral health.

Is Xylitol safe for teeth?
Xylitol is safe for teeth and helps reduce bacteria in the mouth associated with gingivitis.

Any toxic effects of Xylitol?
No. Xylitol is recognized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a safe food sweetener for people. Large amounts of Xylitol taken at one time can produce temporary laxative effects in some individuals.

Is Xylitol safe for animals?
While Xylitol is safe for humans, it should never be fed to animals and pets, in particular dogs, ferrets, and rabbits. Xylitol can cause an extremely rapid blood sugar drop or liver failure that may be life-threatening for pets. If Xylitol is ingested by pets, please seek veterinary medical attention immediately.