Natrol Cognium features a silk protein hydrolysate that has been extensively studied and proven effective. The majority of studies were randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies that meet the highest level of evidence for claims support as stated by both the FDA and FTC. The studies were published in 9 respected peer-reviewed journals that can be found below. In these clinical studies, the silk protein in Cognium is referred to as either Brain Factor-7 or BF-7.
Cognium Clinical Studies
- Kim K, Park S, Yoo HK, Lee JY, Jung HY, Kim DH, Lee HJ, Kim JY, Young C, Marshall MR, Kim SS, Jeong Y. Brain Factor-7 Extracted from Bombyx mori Enhances Cognition and Attention in Normal Children. J. Med Food. 2009c; 12(3):643-648
- Kim DH, Kim OH, Yeo JH, Lee KG, Park GD, Kim DJ, Chung YH, Kim KY, Lee WB, Youn YC, Chung Y, Lee SH, Hyun JS. The improvement of short- and long-term memory of young children by BF-7. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2010b;39(3):376-382. Korea
- Chae HS, Kang YK, Shin YK, Lee HJ, Yu JI, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Kim YS, Sohn DS, Kim KY, Lee WB, Lee SH, Kim SS. The role of BF-7 on neuroprotection and enhancement of cognitive function. Kor J Physiol Pharmacol 2004 Aug;8:173-179.
- Kim DH, Lee HJ, Choi G, Kim OH, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Lee JY, Lee SH, Youn C, Lee JH, Paik HD, Lee WB, Kim SS, Jung HY. Milk containing BF-7 enhances the learning and memory, attention, and mathematical ability of normal persons. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour. 2009a;29(2):278-282.
- Lee SH, Kim YS, Kim SS, Kang YK, Lee MY, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Lee WB, Kim DY. Association between cerebral blood flow and cognitive improvement effect by B. mori extracted compound. Kor J Seric Sci 2004a; 46(2):77-79. Korean.
- Lee MY, Lee SH, Lee JS, Min KJ, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Kwon HJ, Lee JK, Kang YK, Lee DY, Chung HY, Kim KY, Kim SS, Lee WB. BF-7 improved memory function and protected neurons from oxidative stress. Kor J Phys Anthropol 2004c;17(4):313-320.Korean.
- Combined Report:
- Kim DK, Kang YK, Lee MY, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Lee WB, Kim YS, Kim SS. Neuroprotection and enhancement of learning and memory by BF-7. J Health Sci 2005; 51(3):317-324
- Lee SH, Kim YS, Kim SS, Kang YK, Kwon OS, Shin YK, Song JH, Lee MY, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Lee WB, Lee TJ, Kim SS. The improvement of learning and memory ability of normal persons by BF-7. Kor J Physiol Pharmacol 2004b Dec; 8:307-312.
- Lee JY, Lee SH, Sung JJ, Kim ET, Cho HJ, Kim KH, Kang YK, Kim SS, Kwon OS, Lee WB. The effect of BF-7 on the ischemia-induced learning and memory deficits. Kor J Anat 2005; 38(2):181-188. Korean.
- Kang YK et al. Memory Enhancing Effects of Silk Fibroin Derived Peptides in Scopolamine Treated Mice. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2013: 23:1779-1784.
- Kim DK, Lee JY, Sung JJ, Kim ET, Kim YS, Kwon OS, Yun YC, Lee TJ, Kang YK, Chung YH, Kim SS, Kim KY, Lee WB. The role of BF-7 on enhancement of memory and cognitive function. Kor J Anat 2004; 37(6):519-527.